Saturday, February 8, 2014

Shoutout to Nancy of Spinning Glass Studio



Glass and ceramics are a unique combination...I love melted glass and incorporating it into my ceramic pieces.  Here, Nancy deals with just glass and creates beautiful beads which she then uses to create some absolutely beautiful jewelry!  Keep on reading and get to know Nancy a bit better!

Name:  Nancy Bariluk-Smith

Business Name(s):  Spinning GlassStudio

Date Business Was Opened/Created:  2007

Types of Items/Services Offered
I started this business as a fiber artist or a "Feltress" as my husband called me! I began adding bead onto my felt and then moved into making glass beads .I love the way glass moves and interacts with itself. Its magical. I started creating jewelry out of the beads I was making. Each bead has its own personality and finding a way to make that bead shine is the part I really enjoy.

Why did you decide to open/start your own business?
I've work for myself in a variety of ways. I wanted to try to do a smaller home-based business where I am the sole proprietor and I have the flexibility to make my business be exactly what I want it to be.
 
What is your inspiration?
I'm inspired by my surrounding. I love to take walks in the woods or on the beach. Beauty is always there to greet me!

What is your favorite item/service you currently offer in your business?
That's an interesting question. It's really not about the item I make its about the way people feel about my jewelry . I love to watch their faces light up when they see something they just have to have. So it's not really a service I offer but a by-product of what I do. My business is so much more to me than each individual piece I make and more like each individual customer I serve.

What advice do you have for someone looking to start/open their own business?
I think having a mission statement is a good start. It helps keep you on task with what your doing and where you want to go. Its easy to get off track especially if you have a home -based business. The mission statement can keep you focused

Where can people find your goodies?
Fish House Gallery, Kennebunk, Maine
RiverTree Arts, Kennebunk, Maine
Chameleon Newburyport, Massachusetts
SOCIAL MEDIA



RANDOM FUN

Favorite Color(s)orange

Favorite Food(s):  Thai Food

Favorite Vacation Spot:  Punta Cana

Favorite BookSecret Life of Bees

Favorite MovieBilly Elliot

Thanks for sharing Nancy!  Putting together a mission statement for your business when starting is some GREAT advice...something I need to get off my butt and do!  :-D  hehe






No comments:

Post a Comment